Mexico City’s Mercomuna to Support 335,000 Families This Year
This article by Alejandro Cruz appeared in the August 26, 2025 edition of La Jornada, Mexico’s premier left wing daily newspaper.
Mexico City. The Market, Community, and Supply (Mercomuna) program will support 335,000 families in the capital this year, announced Mexico City Mayor Clara Brugada.
While presenting vouchers for this strategy at the Zócalo, he said that 900 million pesos have been allocated for this purpose this year.
The goal, she said, is to double the beneficiary population and reach 700,000 households, who each four-month period receive 1,000 pesos in vouchers to be exchanged for products at public markets and neighborhood stores. So far, 15,000 households have enrolled in the program.

The goal is to directly support families so they can purchase basic food products according to their needs, while also strengthening small businesses, as well as public and popular markets.
“Previously, food parcels were delivered or cards were used that could only be exchanged at large retail chains. Now, the funds remain in neighborhoods, and villages, boosting the local economy,” she emphasized. She highlighted that 80 percent of the beneficiaries of this strategy are female heads of households, and emphasized that thanks to the social policies of the Fourth Transformation governments, poverty in Mexico has decreased to historic levels, and in Mexico City, progress is being made toward eradicating extreme poverty.
-
International Rating Agencies are Acting Against State Involvement in Mexico’s Economy
Weak economic growth is a direct result of the rating agencies’ own recommendations that Mexico should restrict public spending & investment.
-
FIFA’s a “global power of dubious integrity”, World Cup “bombards with advertising,” Football “is a manipulative lie”: Social World Cup Fails To Thrill Mexicans
Polling by Mexico’s La Jornada reveals Mexicans largely unimpressed with the football spectacle.
-
Mexico’s Environment Secretariat Preparing Blacklist of Environment Destroyers
A draft bill proposes those listed will be barred from obtaining environmental permits, authorizations, or concessions for a period of up to ten years, & will also be denied access to subsidies or public support.
