Relatives of the 43 Continue to Demand Justice
This article by Jared Laureles and Daniel González appeared in the August 26, 2025 edition of La Jornada, Mexico’s premier left wing daily newspaper.
Mexico City. One month after the 11th anniversary of the disappearance of the 43 Ayotzinapa students, the parents of the students warned that they will maintain their demand for the young men’s return alive until there is scientific evidence to the contrary.
They also announced that at the next meeting with President Claudia Sheinbaum, scheduled for next week, they will request to learn about the progress of the investigation team, which includes, among others, the Attorney General’s Office and the Secretariat of Security and Citizen Protection, which was formed last February.
At the monthly march marking ten years and 11 months of the disappearance of the young men, Hilda Legideño, Jorge Antonio Tizapa’s mother, noted that two administrations have passed, “and despite all the lies they’ve told us,” the students’ families remain strong in their search for them.
“We’re with the current President (Claudia Sheinbaum), and we start over every six-year term. They have to start over with the investigations; that’s where we get desperate as mothers and fathers,” she said at a rally at the Hemiciclo a Juárez.
Previously, Isidoro Vicario, the families’ attorney, indicated that during the current federal government administration, they have not yet received “concrete and conclusive answers” regarding the investigations that would lead to the whereabouts of the young men who disappeared in 2014 in Iguala, Guerrero.
“The parents have reiterated that as long as we don’t have reliable, scientific information, these will be the guidelines. The request for a live presentation will remain in effect unless we have scientific evidence to the contrary,” he stated.
The objective of the research team formed last February is to support the investigation of the case with the use of technology and scientific data.
“What the parents are waiting for is for this team to at least respond. So the parents are going with some expectations for this meeting, which will be held on the 4th (of September), to see if there’s any information on this matter and also to see if there’s any information regarding some documents that COVAJ has already found, and to see if there’s any lines of investigation that need to be investigated further,” he emphasized.
Regarding the resignation of attorney Vidulfo Rosales, Isidoro Vicario stated that legal support will continue collectively with the parents and organizations such as Tlachinollan, the Prodh Center, and Serapaz. However, he said the families will analyze who could serve as spokesperson among the attorneys.
Cristina Bautista, Benjamin Ascencio’s mother, said the families never imagined they’d reach 11 years without hearing from their children, “but we’re still standing.”
Therefore, she asked solidarity organizations “to keep an eye on us” and support them in the day of struggle planned from September 17 to 28 in various parts of the country.
Carrying images of their children, the parents of the 43 young people marched from the Angel of Independence and held the traditional roll call at the +43 anti-monument.
The mobilization concluded at the Juárez Hemicycle, where, accompanied by student teachers and solidarity organizations, they held a rally to demand justice for the disappearance of the young men.
-
Analysis | Interviews | Labor
Delivering the Goods… Or Not.
Gilberto García of the International Transport Workers’ Federation says that workers possess enormous structural power: the potential to paralyze global trade.
-
People’s Mañanera August 29
President Sheinbaum’s daily press conference, with comments on FIFA President meeting, excessive pensions, PEMEX corruption, Rubio visit, pharmaceuticals, first government report & the right wing anti-Noroña campaign.
-
Forced Disappearance & Capitalism
What is more viable: a capitalism without violence or an anti-capitalist project?